Wednesday 2 June 2010

Schools killing creativity

I think that the topic Mr. Ken Robinson was speaking about is very interesting. As I was listening to the conference he gave, I realized that I had never thought of school that way. I never doubt that math and literature were more important than dance for example, because that was how the school was programmed. I think if a school provides 10 lectures a week of dance or drama and 3 of math, no parents would like their children studying there. So being agree in the fact that the occidental way of thinking punish mistakes and that they are the worst you can make, I think that the problem isn’t in schools but in our way of thinking. For example is someone is good at piano, and she/he plays a very good song, we would say, oh! That’s beautiful, but only thinking like in a hobby or something to do in free time. I think that the idea of not accepting mistakes is from society and that is reflects in schools. For example is a mother ask her daughter “how was school today”, beside if she is ok and all that, she would be worry about math, literature and so on, never thinking in how the sport class was. There are some subjects that as society we “learned” that are more important and even do if schools try to change that it will have to go throw 2 or 3 generations to start thinking in maybe changing the way people think nowadays. So is like a cycle that never end because the society thinks in a way and that society was taught in a minute to think that way, so I think the step to break the cycle is very difficult.

7 comments:

  1. I think that this society jobs are too estigmatized, about what is good or wrong to do. That is something hard to change in parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like this presentation, watch the second, there is a link next to the first video

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's right, maybe the parents wouldn't their childrens studyng in a school that only have drama or dance... but I think that it's because they doesn't have the possibility of something like that when they were kids.

    PS: Coni.. don't get mad for the post in facebook XD!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like a lucky person because my parents put my in a great school wen a was little!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think that parents wouldn't put their childrens on a school like that because of the fact that they were also eductaed under that sistem, that if you are not a profesional you won't have a job and won't get money

    ReplyDelete
  6. i thinks that the authorities feel more secure when they have under their charge ignorant and automated people

    ReplyDelete
  7. I share that the jobs are stigmatized and I don't agree that, we have to change that

    ReplyDelete